[RNLD] Indigenous collaboration in linguistic research or projects

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 19:25:21 EDT 2019

Hi Lesley,

Here are a few publications from people I've worked with that directly
mention collaboration:
Carew, Margaret, Jennifer Green, Inge Kral, Rachel Nordlinger & Ruth
Singer. 2015. Getting in Touch: Language and Digital Inclusion in
Australian Indigenous Communities. *Language documentation and conservation*
9. 307–323.

Brown, Reuben, David Manmurulu, Jenny Manmurulu & Isabel O’Keeffe. 2018.
Dialogues with the Archives: Arrarrkpi Responses to Recordings as Part of
the Living Song Tradition of Manyardi. *Preservation, Digital Technology &
Culture* 47(3–4). 102–114. doi:10.1515/pdtc-2018-0021
<https://doi.org/10.1515/pdtc-2018-0021>.

Brown, Reuben, David Manmurulu, Jenny Manmurulu, Isabel O’Keeffe & Ruth
Singer. 2017. Maintaining song traditions and languages together at Warruwi
(western Arnhem Land). In Myf Turpin & James Wafer (eds.), *Recirculating
songs: revitalising the singing practices of Indigenous Australia*,
268–286. Canberra, ACT : Asia-Pacific Linguistics, School of Culture,
History and Language, College of Asia and the Pacific, The Australian
National University.
https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/132161.

O’Keeffe, Isabel, Linda Barwick, Carolyn Coleman, David Manmurulu, Jenny
Manmurulu, Janet Gardjilart Bumarda Mardbinda, Paul Naragoidj & Ruth
Singer. 2018. Multiple uses for old and new recordings: perspectives from
the multilingual community of Warruwi. *FEL XXI ALCANENA 2017: communities
in control. Proceedings of the 21st FEL conference, 19-21 October 2017*,
140–147. Hungerford (UK): Foundation for Endangered Languages.

Collaborative work often leads to something other than an academic
publication, as this is not the outcome that communities are interested in.
Musicologists are really leading the way in how to make publication part of
the collaboration.

Cheers,

Ruth