[RNLD] Message to r-n-l-d at lists.unimelb.edu.au Exploring online language learning, for example 'Duolingo' or 'Say something in'

Angela Harrison angela.harrison at batchelor.edu.au
Tue Apr 28 02:09:49 EDT 2020

We are looking at investing some funds to create online language lessons in Arrernte. We have looked at a few platforms and are interested to hear feedback from others in the language teaching world as to their experiences.
We have looked at 'Memrise' - which looks good from the point of view of accessibility, ease of use and vocabulary learning, however we would like something which is more sophisticated and allows learners to learn to build sentences.
'Say something in' looks like it uses a lot of the same principles as master-apprentice, like focussing on intensive speaking and listening rather than reading and writing. This one has the advantage that the learner can listen and repeat without needing to look, which is great for using on car trips, or while bike riding or walking.
'Duolingo' appeals the most to Kumalie Riley, Arrernte teacher, who says it is most like the Arrernte teaching she is familiar with in that it uses flashcards and has a focus on speaking and listening as well as reading and writing.

We have tried to contact both Duolingo and Say Something In but have received no communication in response.
We are interested to hear the experiences of others - is it likely that we will hear back from them? Has anyone had experience with putting a language into one of these platforms?
Thanks,
Angela and Kumalie

Regards
Angela Harrison
Project Manager
Centre for Australian
Languages and Linguistics (CALL)
Desert Peoples Centre Campus
Alice Springs
p:
8951 8344
w:
batchelor.edu.au<http://batchelor.edu.au/>
[cid:image002.png at 01D61D73.3E2AB880]<https://www.facebook.com/batchelorinstitute?ref=profile>  [cid:image004.png at 01D61D73.3E2AB880] <https://twitter.com/Indigenous_Inst>   [cid:image006.png at 01D61D73.3E2AB880] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/batchelor-institute-of-indigenous-tertiary-education/>
[cid:image008.png at 01D61D73.3E2AB880]