[RNLD] Publications - Personal naming practices in Indigenous groups in Australia

Nicholas Evans nicholas.evans at anu.edu.au
Thu May 14 00:44:58 EDT 2020

Hi Lesley

yes, an interesting question. Here are two things for you:
(a) an article about the changes to naming practices among Kayardild speakers (South Wellesley Islands), tracing different practices across the generations and showing how different methods have been used over time to link people to country
(b) two excerpts from my grammar of Bininj Gunwok (and so should gel with Murray's references) looking at different types of naming in Bininj Gunwok, including a special construction for forming humorous 'mishap nicknames'
If you haven't already done so, it's worth going back to look over the Hart, Stanner and Thomson papers (refs in the back of the first attachment), which are all beautifully detailed ethnographic studies

Best Nick