[Rgyalrong] Tibetan place names

Sami Honkasalo samihonkasalo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 19:29:26 UTC 2021

Hi Jesse,

If the task is to search for the Tibetan toponym of a certain place, the
best resources that I have been able to find are the Place Name Directories
published in China (地名录, e.g. 四川省甘孜藏族自治州道孚县地名录). As for the problems, the
Directories are somewhat old already, contain some errors, can be difficult
to access or purchase outside China, and some of the listed toponyms are
simply Tibetanized *ad hoc*, rather than having real history in a Tibetan
form (although such cases can often be easy to recognize for the reader who
understands local history and reads Tibetan). Nevertheless, when used
critically, I think the Directories are a great resource for checking
toponyms.

Best wishes,
Sami