educational applications of RST

Mark Torrance m.torrance at STAFFS.AC.UK
Mon Jul 16 10:46:03 UTC 2001

Paola,

> - are you aware of any literature or project about teaching students how to
> prepare reports and/or presentations according to the RST?
>
> - is there any study that proposes some RST-based criteria for preparing
> well-structured pedagogical texts?

I don't know of any research that has shown relationships between RST
structure and usability or quality measures. I'd be interested if
there was. The following gives a sort of pedagocial critique of an
RST-analysed undergraduate essay:

Obrien, T. (1995). Rhetorical structure analysis and the case of the
inaccurate, incoherent source-hopper. Applied Linguistics, 16(4), 442-
482.

Mark Torrance

Mark Torrance
Department of Psychology