antithesis or contrast

Mark Torrance m.torrance at STAFFS.AC.UK
Thu Mar 7 10:06:52 UTC 2002

On the antithesis/contrast thing:

As part of a project exploring how writers plan their texts we've
analysed twenty short student essays on topics like "what are the
pros and cons of decriminalising drugs". Looking at the stats, in a
total of about 750 relations we've used contrast 69 times, and
antithesis exactly twice (and looking again one of those is
dubious). I've been trying to work out why this might be.

I think what we've focussed on in the antithesis relation is the need
(for it to be plausible that) the reader increases her positive regard
for one of the elements as a result of reading that particular bit of
text. Thus the one strong example of antithesis we have (though
you might disagree) is

N: [drug users] need access to rehabilitation and treatment
S: rather than [exposure to] a potentially dangerous prison
environment

Prison is in contrast with treatment and it is obvious from this part
of the text that the writer has positive regard for treatment. We
have, on the other hand, lots of examples of this sort of thing:

users can be given treatment
or they can be sent to prison

We have assumed that this is a contrast relation even in cases
where elsewhere in the text the writer makes clear that she has
positive regard for one or other of the options. If we were to treat a
contrast as antithesis in situations where we knew from elsewhere
in the text that the writer had positive regard for one or other of the
sides of the relation then I guess we would end up recoding most of
our contrasts as antitheses. I'm not sure, however, that this "ah but
this is what the writer really thinks" approach would lead to a good
analysis, though.

Don't know if that sheds any light.

Mark Torrance

Mark Torrance