Rhetorical relations and the rhythm of the discourse

Cesare Rocchi rocchi at ITC.IT
Tue Jan 14 17:15:59 UTC 2003

Dear all,

I'm looking for some research study that concerns
RST and the rhythm of discourse.
In particular I'm looking for answers to the following questions
(from a computational perspective):

	-
	how particular configurations of rhetorical relations affect the rhythm
	of the discourse ?

	-
	is it possible to identify how a RR affects the
	flow of discourse (e.g. a sequence tends to highlight the continuity
	among its parts whereas a background tends to break the rhythm by
providing
	contextual information that helps to understand the message of the
nucleus) ?

	-
	how rhythm affects the communicative effect of a text (are there
"boring texts" and
	"well-structured texts")?

	-
	perhaps I need to integrate these issues with a study concerning rhythm
and punctuation ?

I'm open to every suggestion and any kind of discussion.

Thanks in advance,

-c.

|                Cesare Rocchi                |
|             Research Consultant             |
|   at ITC-IRST Povo I-38050 (TRENTO) ITALY   |
|     http://tcc.itc.it/people/rocchi.html    |