Rhetorical relations and the rhythm of the discourse

William Mann bill_mann at SIL.ORG
Tue Jan 14 18:26:17 UTC 2003

Dear Cesare and all:

I would love to see a study of rhetorical relations and the rhythms of
texts.  Unfortunately, I do not know of one yet.

    Two reactions:
                        1.  Possibly the ideas have been explored under
other terminology.  Certainly Rhetorical Relations have been called by many
other names, grouped into categories, etc.  Perhaps Poetics, as a field, has
the work already done.
                        2.  If RST does not help, perhaps it could be made
helpful.  The set of relations is redefineable within the framework.   I
have documented about 4 more since the 1988 paper, and there is a recognized
need to repair certain areas of RST.  I encourage you to do new definitions
of criteria for observers (analysts)  to use.

I wish you every success.

Bill Mann