[Rstlist] RST versus issue trees?

David Wojick dwojick at craigellachie.us
Wed Apr 12 12:46:09 EDT 2017

My interest in the RST list is that I have developed a method that does
something like RST, but is different, so I want to discuss it with the RST
group. It is called the issue tree.
See
https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2013/07/10/the-issue-tree-structure-of-expressed-thought/

My impression is that RST (about which I know little) is based on a
relatively small constructed taxonomy of relations between "spans" of text.
See http://www.sfu.ca/rst/01intro/intro.html for a listing of these relations.

Issue tree theory has no such taxonomy. It is based on the following
fundamental observation:

With certain important exceptions, every sentence in a text (except the
first) is answering a specific question posed to a specific prior sentence.

Thus the set of relations between sentences is the set of all possible
questions. The tree structure occurs because more than one question can be
asked of a given sentence and this frequently occurs. The questions are
often quite simple, such as how?, why?, such as?, what evidence?, etc.

For example consider this string of sentences: We have to go. The cops are
coming. Use the back door.

The second sentence is answering the question why? of the first, while the
third sentence is answering the question how? of the first. This is a
simple issue tree.

Note that these are reasoning relations, not rhetorical relations.

When there are many sentences, as in a journal article, the issue tree can
be difficult to grasp just by reading the string of sentences. Here the
issue tree diagram becomes useful. One can see the reasoning. One can also
measure it in various useful ways.

Also the RST analysis looks to be applicable only to individual documents,
while any set of documents on a given topic will have a unique combined
issue tree structure. Moreover, the issue tree can be scaled to show just
the reasoning relations between documents rather than sentences. Let's say
we have 400 recent journal articles on a given topic, which is a fairly
typical number. An issue tree diagram of a few thousand nodes could show
the collective reasoning that ties this corpus together. The state of the
reasoning, as it were. The technology is pretty powerful.

I welcome your thoughts.

David

David Wojick, Ph.D.
https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/author/dwojick/