Inquiry: Khmer Vowels (fwd)

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yui at alpha.tu.ac.th
Tue Nov 14 01:50:27 UTC 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:57:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Adelwisa A Weller <alagawel at umich.edu>
To: cotseal2000 at umich.edu
Subject: Inquiry: Khmer Vowels (fwd)

fyi.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:44:50 -0500
From: Scott McGinnis <smcginnis at nflc.org>
To: "'councilnews-list at Majordomo.umd.edu'" <councilnews-list at Glue.umd.edu>
Subject: Inquiry: Khmer Vowels

Date:  Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:56:44 +0000
From:  "Robert R. Ratcliffe" <ratcliff at fs.tufs.ac.jp>
Subject:  Khmer vowels

I just heard a talk by our Khmer (Cambodian) professor here, in which
she described a set of "constricted" or "narrow" vowels. She couldn't
tell me what these were phonetically, and I couldn't find any reference
to them (or to Khmer at all) in standard sources like Ladefoged &
Maddieson or Laver. The description made them sound like ATR vowels, but
when she pronounced them for me I heard something like creaky or breathy
voiced vowels. Does anyone know what they are, or can anyone refer me to
phonetic research on Khmer?

Robert R. Ratcliffe
Associate Professor, Arabic and Linguistics,
Dept. of Linguistics and Information Science
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
Asahi-machi 3-11-1,
Fuchu-shi, Tokyo
183-8534 Japan