Inquiry: Khmer Vowels (fwd)

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yui at alpha.tu.ac.th
Tue Nov 14 01:50:51 UTC 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:39:52 -0500 (EST)
From: Adelwisa A Weller <alagawel at umich.edu>
To: cotseal2000 at umich.edu
Subject: Re: Inquiry: Khmer Vowels

Professor Wheatley has information about Khmer vowels.

------------------

A source might be Eugenie Henderson's The Main Features of Cambodian
Pronunciation, Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies 14,
1, 1952: 149-74.

In it she describes the Cambodian (Khmer) registers: first register, normal
or head voice quality, relatively high pitch; second register, deep rather
breathy or 'sepulchral' voice pronounced with lowering of the larynx and
frequently accompanied by a certain dilation of the nostrils. Pitch is
usually lower than that of the first register in similar contexts. (quoted,
but not contintinuously). In some Mon Khmer lgs, there are distinct sets of
vowels assoc with each register.

Such voice quality distinctions (phonation types) are characteristic of the
Mon-Khmer family of languages (and are even to be found in the tones (pitch
X voice quality) of the outlier, Vietnamese.)

Another place to get information might be the chapter on Khmer in Comrie,
The Worlds Major Lgs, Croom Helm.

I forget Ladefoged's name for the relevant variable - I think it is glottal
stricture.

Hope this is useful,

JKW.