Inquiry: Khmer Vowels (fwd)

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yui at alpha.tu.ac.th
Wed Nov 15 10:21:22 UTC 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:49:08 -1000
From: Christopher Court <court at hawaii.edu>
To: Adelwisa A Weller <alagawel at umich.edu>
Cc: cotseal2000 at umich.edu
Subject: Re: Inquiry: Khmer Vowels (fwd)

dear robert

khmer is usually described as having two "registers", or voice
qulities: normal (or "A-register") and sepulchral (or "O-register"), but
the
fact is that the traditional sepulchral register has almost
disappeared. in phnom
penh dialect the trad. register contrast has gone, but in the colloquial
dialect
a new one (from the change   r > h + breathy voice ) has arisen.  ask for
some examples of "constricted" vowels.

chris court