Thai romanization question (fwd)

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yui at alpha.tu.ac.th
Wed Jun 13 04:55:08 UTC 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:31:11 -0400
From: Kim Uyen Tran <kim.tran at yale.edu>
To: michael farris <maf at amu.edu.pl>
Cc: Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong <yui at alpha.tu.ac.th>
Subject: Re: Thai romanization question (fwd)

Dear Michael Farris:

I am the Catalog Librarian at Yale University's Southeast Asia Collection.

For the transliteration of our vernacular material, which includes Thai,
Lao, Burmese, Khmer, etc., we use the ALA-LC ROMANIZATION TABLES :
TRANSLITERATION SCHEMES FOR NON-ROMAN SCRIPTS approved by the Library of
Congress and the American Library Association. "These tables were developed
for use when the consistent transliteration of a non-Roman (vernacular)
script (e.g., Arabic script) into Roman alphabet is needed. This
publication covers more than 140 languages written in various non-Roman
scripts".

As for your question concerning the cataloging of Thai personal names,
according to the ANGLO-AMERICAN CATALOGUING RULES, 2nd ed., the general
rule is to enter the name in direct order. This means that as an American
library, we would use the first name rather than the surname. There are
specific rules for other names such as royalty, nobility, and Buddhist
monastics, ecclesiastics, and patriarchs.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Kim Uyen Tran

Catalog Librarian