entity names for VN o+ and u+

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE
Tue May 1 13:45:15 UTC 2001

Thank you, Peter, for the detailed reply and explanations.

> disatisfied with the results, that is the fault of the client software
> (browser, OS, fonts) and not of either HTML or of Unicode. Issues related

I was afraid of something like that, and that's the "ulterior" motive behind
my interest. I am looking for ways of representation that are accessible
to the widest public, particularly the low-budget not-state-of-the-art
equipment-user laypersons (a.k.a. every tom dick and jerry :-)
My problem isn't to access available texts of others, but that texts
I might set up be accessible to people whose equipment update I cannot
influence.

I've temporarily settled for special-symbol gifs, which will also display
without a hitch on version-3 and older browsers. It's a bit unwieldy,
might not appear so neat on different browsers, but one sees what is meant.
At least, better than the gobbledygook that appears on one's screen when
one's browser is not appropriately equiped.
See e.g. http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/~wm/LGANTHR/SEALANG/SL-Siam3.html ,
a first try-out page. I'm thinking of completing a collection of gifs for
this purpose "peu-a-peu".

Savatdee,   Waruno

PS. Thanks for direct responses to Patrick Chew:

> The (American) Library of Congress cataloging schema lists the two
> Vietnamese letters as: o-with-hook (upper/lower case), u-with-hook

and to David Thomas:

> That symbol has often been referred to as a "whisker".

I've temporarily settled for horn and named the respective gif-files
ohorn.gif and uhorn.gif, that was the original motive of my query :-)