New edition of Pallegoix (1854)

Doug Cooper doug at th.net
Thu May 3 06:43:26 UTC 2001

The Curriculum Dept. of the Thai Ministry of Education
has recently published a photo-reproduced edition of the
Pallegoix _Dictionarium Linguae Thai_, a Thai-Latin-
French-English dictionary, with foreward and afterward
in Thai.

  Copies of the book are available for research use upon
receipt of a formal letter of request to the Ministry.  The
contact person is Khun Butsabba at (in Bangkok) 281-6185
or 282-9318, both extension 409.  Khun Suchada, ext. 412,
was also helpful (and speaks better English).

  The process is very convenient if you go to the Ministry
(on Ratchadamnern Nawk Road) in person, and may well
be impossible otherwise.  E-mail is not available.

  There is a rumor that the book may be republished for sale
later this year (which would probably make overseas orders via
a bookstore possible).  I'm trying to find out if they're amenable
to free distribution of images, as I may have to scan the thing for
my own purposes anyway.

   The book is a big, heavy volume (~1,000 pages, about
11"x14"), so take a backpack.

   Doug Cooper