classifier query

Jeff Knowling jeff_knowling at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:15:45 UTC 2001

>From: David Gil wrote:

>Is anybody familiar with an example of diachronic change in which a
>numeral classifier becomes reanalyzed as the numeral "one"?

>(a) In some numeral classifier languages, such as Cantonese and
>Vietnamese, a classifier may occur with a noun but without a numeral;
>in such cases, the resulting construction is generally interpreted as
>singular.  The singular semantics of such constructions could plausibly
>lead to the classifier being reinterpreted as the numeral "one".

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but from my interpretation
Thai allows the use of the classifier alone without the number one in some
instances.

When asking for a cigarette you can ask 'Kaw buri nung muan' ( give
cigarette one round/turn) or drop 'nung' (one) and ask 'Kaw buri muan' with
it being understood that you want one cigarette.  I have heard the same used
when buying a pack of cigarettes:  I you want to buy a pack of Krong Thip
brand cigarettes you can ask 'Kaw KrongThip song' and you will get one pack.

No other example springs to mind, plates of food, pieces of fruit, books,
etc. all need the number one with the classifier.  I have heard requests for
water used without the number, but it seems to be more for clarification of
the type of water - bottled vs. tap then for an accurate count.  A table of
diners requesting 'Nam plao kuat' (water plain bottle) are likely to get two
or more bottles to satisfy the needs of the table, not just one bottle.