David's classifier query (fwd)

Doug Cooper doug at th.net
Tue Oct 16 07:02:17 UTC 2001

(Fwd for "Laurent Sagart" <Laurent.Sagart at ehess.fr> )

Greetings to all,

LIU Shiru (1965:199; full reference below) claimed that David's scenario (a)
occurred in the history of Chinese, but for 'two': that is, a numeral
classifier, modern shuang1,  Old Chinese b/srong > Middle Chinese sraewng,
 signifying 'pair of', was reinterpreted as a true numeral meaning
'two' through omission of the numeral for 'one', in Nanbeichao times; later
on, shuang1 reverted to its original meaning of 'pair of'.

One reflects that this is probably why Siamese borrowed srong > sraewng
as soong, in the meaning  `two', rather than 'pair of', which is the usual
Chinese meaning of this word, even today.

A parallel example, in which b/tek > tsyek ?? (Modern Chinese zhi2),
originally a classifier for individual objects occurring in pairs, assumes
the aspect of a true numeral meaning `one', also through the omission of a
preceding ?? `one', may be found on p. 114 of Liu's book. This example is
isolated, however. Yet there is a certain question whether the numeral for
'one' in the Min dialects (Chaozhou tsek etc.), which is not etymologically
related to the normal Chinese word for 'one': OC b/?it > MC ?jit, modern
yi1, did not arise through David's scenario.

LIU Shiru (1965) Wei-Jin Nan-Beichao liangci yanjiu ([researches on
classifiers in the Wei-Jin and Nanbeichao periods]. In Chinese). Beijing:
Zhonghua.

Laurent

L. Sagart
CRLAO