Re 2: Moken and Moklen (fwd)

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yuphapha at hawaii.edu
Wed Dec 10 23:06:24 UTC 2003

more info

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 07:48:03 -1000
From: Ruth Horie <ruthh at hawaii.edu>
To: larish at hawaii.edu
Cc: ling-l at hawaii.edu
Subject: Re: Moken and Moklen

Dear Michael,

I cataloged your thesis and submitted a proposal to the Library of
Congress for a new subject heading for "Moklen language". It was made
official in September 2003. See: http://authorities.loc.gov/

HEADING: Moklen language
Used For/See From: Chau pok language
Search Also Under: Malayan languages Thailand Languages
Found In: Work cat.: Larish, M.D. The position of Moken and Moklen
within the Austronesian language family, 1999 (Moklen; spoken by Moklen
in S. Thailand; distinct from Moken; related to Austronesian langs.)
Dalby, D. Linguasphere register of the world's languages and speech
communities, 2000 (Moklen, lang. spoken in S. Thailand)
Ethnologue, July 24, 2003 (Moklen lang. spoken on the west coast of
Thailand;
alternatively called: Chau pok;
considered a western Austronesian lang.) Ruhlen world lang. (Moklen)
Not Found In: Curr. trends ling.; Voegelin lang.

In July 2003 I also submitted proposals to create specific Library of
Congress classification numbers for the Moken and Moklen languages
under the Austronesian languages. These are still pending. I'll keep
you posted.

Aloha,

Ruth Horie
Librarian, Cataloging Department, Hamilton Library
University of Hawaii at Manoa,  Honolulu, HI 96822 USA
ph. (808) 956-2764 fax 956-5968   ruthh at hawaii.edu
Library: http://libweb.hawaii.edu/uhmlib/index.htm