SEALTEACH Re: Cambodian [Khmer]: Huffman's manual on-line (fwd)

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yuphapha at hawaii.edu
Fri Nov 7 18:15:09 UTC 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Smith [mailto:vox at drizzle.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 11:18 PM
To: sealteach at nectec.or.th
Subject: Re: SEALTEACH Re: Cambodian [Khmer]: Huffman's manual on-line

The 1997 edition of the Headley dictionary is indeed not available in
Cambodia or Thailand.  You would need to order it from the publisher,
Dunwoody Press (www.dunwoodypress.com).

The 1997 does suffer in comparison to the 1977 when it comes to
etymological notes; the cross-referencing of Khmer words with Malay,
Chinese, Cham, Vietnamese, Thai, Pali and other languages (without
suggesting a
direction of transfer or influence) was in my opinion one of the really
strong points of the 1977.

However, the 1997 includes a) more slang and vulgar terms b) updated
political and scientific vocabulary reflecting the many new terms coined
in the 1980s and early 1990s in Cambodia and c) extensive entries of Khmer
Rouge terms.  In my opinion, each has their strong point and the serious
student of Khmer needs both the 1977 and 1997 editions.

yours,

Frank

Frank Smith
Khmer Language Coordinator
Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute
University of Wisconsin-Madison