call: UNESCO Register of Good Practices in Language Preservation

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yuphapha at hawaii.edu
Wed Jul 13 08:41:54 UTC 2005

>From  "Castro, Santiago" <S.Castro at unesco.org>
Date  Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:22:37 +0200

UNESCO Register of Good Practices in Language Preservation

In accordance with its mission to protect and promote cultural
diversity, and in particular to encourage the safeguarding of
endangered languages as an essential part of the living heritage of
humanity, UNESCO calls for submissions to its online 'Register of Good
Practices in Language Preservation' under the Endangered Languages
Programme. We are interested in collecting reports on both ongoing and
past projects.

PURPOSE:

The purpose of this Register is to identify and collect reports
concerning efforts in language preservation, as a means to facilitate
the dissemination of Good Practice knowledge, expertise and experience
in this area, and thus to encourage future application and adaptation
worldwide. To this end, we ask speaker communities, governmental and
non-governmental organisations, and related experts to share their
good experiences in the preservation, revitalisation and promotion of
endangered languages with a wider public, via our Good Practices
database.

Registry in this database is also meant to ensure the visibility,
recognition, and accessibility of the projects entered (the UNESCO
portal recording over 10 million hits on average every month).

SUBMISSIONS:

We solicit the submission of case reports on any form of community-
based projects concerning language preservation,

- e.g. reports on local/ regional projects in education,
revitalisation, standardisation, community development, awareness
raising, capacity building, documentation, use of new technologies,
etc.

(Note: These can be projects that do not focus on language exclusively
but include language as one aspect among their concerns)

For submission, please use the form and the guidelines available on
the Register website of the UNESCO Endangered Languages Programme:

http://portal.unesco.org/culture/goodpractice

Submissions will be reviewed by UNESCO experts prior to web
publication to ensure consistency.

Your participation is greatly appreciated – it helps establish a
valuable service of knowledge transfer in language preservation, for
future efforts and projects worldwide that safeguard language
diversity as an important aspect of our living heritage.

Best regards,

The Endangered Languages Programme Team

Intangible Heritage Section

UNESCO