New Year song

ROBERT A ROTHSTEIN rar at slavic.umass.edu
Tue Dec 5 14:32:52 UTC 1995

        Thanks to Avraham Kofman for his comments on the version of
"Elochka" that I posted.  I described my text as "one version" since
I knew that there was an "original" somewhere, but had not been
able to remember where it was.  The text I posted is apparently a
folklorized version of a poem by Raisa Adamovna Kudasheva (1878-1964).
Kudasheva's text was first published in the journal _Maliutka_ in 1903
(in a longer version) as a playlet.  The "canonical" version, which was
set to music by L. Bekman, reads as follows (from _Russkaia poeziia
detiam_ [_Biblioteka poeta, Bol'shaia seriia_], 1989):

        V lesu rodilas' elochka,
        V lesu ona rosla,
        Zimoi i letom stroinaia,
        Zelenaia byla.