Translation-course materials

Emilio Millan emillan at cd.com
Mon Dec 11 22:49:20 UTC 1995

Loren A. Billings wrote:
> I'll be teaching a Russian-to-English translation class to third-year
> students.  I'd like ideas of materials, etc.--including fun WWW sites--to
> have them look at.

A book I like very much is _From Russian into English: an introduction
to simultaneous interpretation_ by Lynn Visson (Ardis).  It too has a
political bent and, as the title implies, is more about interpretation
than translation, but it might be a some value for your course anyway.

Two interesting, unorthodox dictionaries for technical translators are
Isidore Geld's _Dictionary of omissions for Russian translators_
(about which I have mixed feelings--I think Geld omits too much) and
Mikhail Zimmerman's _Russian-English translator's dictionary: a guide
to scientific and technical usage_.

Hope this helps!

                                              Emilio

  Emilio Millan                                            emillan at cd.com
  Central Data Corporation
  1602 Newton Drive                                        (217) 366-9253
  Champaign, IL  61821-1098                            FAX (217) 359-6904