Study Abroad Programs

Lisa Frumkes frumkes at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 12 18:30:39 UTC 1995

I wanted to let you know of the existence of Youth For Understanding
(YFU), an organization which organizes student exchanges.  This is a
program primarily for high school students and younger college students.
I mention its existence here because of the exchanges YFU now has with the
Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, and
Ukraine.  Some programs are of short duration--a month or a summer--while
others are longer, lasting a semester or year.  YFU has been around for
more than forty years, so they're pretty reliable.

You can reach YFU at the following telephone number:

1-800-TEENAGE

They also have a web site:

http://www.yfu.org/

Even those who are unable to be exchange students themselves, for whatever
the reason (financial difficulty, worry about leaving home for an extended
period of time, or just being too old, like most of us here) have another
way to learn directly about another culture.  That way is by hosting an
exchange student in the home. This option is not appropriate for all
families, but for many students (and parents, teachers, and schools), the
hosting experience is greatly educational and satisfying.

I hope this doesn't sound too much like an advertisement--it is intended
to be informational, not commercial.  There are many worthwhile
organizations facilitating exchange experiences today; I just happen to
volunteer for one of them.  And I believe wholeheartedly in the exchange
experience, so feel free to contact me for more information.

Lisa Frumkes
Doctoral Candidate
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
University of Washington

(YFU Alumna, Belgium, 1984-85; YFU volunteer since 1985)