Ukrainian impersonals and negation

Loren A. Billings BILLINGS at PUCC.BITNET
Thu Dec 14 04:19:31 UTC 1995

Dear colleagues:

Me again.  I can't seem to find any discussion in the literature, so I ask
you out there.

It's been documented that the GEN of negation in Ukrainian (and Russian) is
on the wane.  I suspect that this especially the case with Ukrainian
impersonals in which the predicate ends in -no or -to.  Wieczorek's recent
(1994) book discusses this a little.  That is, are sentences like

     Tserkvy ne zbudovano.  'Church-GEN not built.'

acceptable in modern Ukrainian.  Are they giving way to sentences like the
following one?

     Tserkvu ne zbudovano.  'Church-ACC ...'

Thanks in advance for replies.  --Loren (billings at mailer.fsu.edu)