"heritage speakers"

Emily Tall MLLEMILY at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Thu Dec 14 15:29:32 UTC 1995

Have any of you heard of this new term for children of native speakers,
who are good in aural comprehension and everyday speech but need work in
,say, grammar and, probably, vocabulary development? It seems to me that
now that enrollments are dropping, it behooves us to try to retain such
students, if possible. To do that (without having a special course for
them, which is, of course, the best option) I think we need some special
set of materials. It doesn't have to be massive, just guidelines as to
what difficulties such students have and how they could profit from
being in a class with "regular" students. Could AATSEEL coordinate
such an effort? Any responses or ideas out there? Emily Tall
SUNY/Buffalo  mllemily at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu