"heritage speakers"

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 14 19:59:11 UTC 1995

I've also heard "heritage speakers" referred to as "nativoids."  I think
that the problem is a real one and I have one suggestion to add to our
discussion.  The folks in Spanish have been dealing with this issue for
years and I think we could learn a lot from them by finding out what
strategies they've been using.  They also have been dealing with different
dialects, regional accents, etc. which are also relevant for our situation.

Ben Rifkin

Benjamin Rifkin
Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI  53706
(608) 262-1623; fax (608) 265-2814
e-mail:  brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu