Slavic Linguistics

Andrew Corin IDBSARC at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU
Thu Feb 2 17:52:00 UTC 1995

                            February 2, 1995

Dear Colleagues,

    Many of you are aware that a caucus of Slavic linguists was
held in San Diego at the annual meeting of AATSEEL.  At that caucus
it was decided to set up a task force to examine the health and
vitality of the field of Slavic linguistics.  The task force will present a
report containing its findings, as well as a possible plan of action, at
next year's AATSEEL meeting in Chicago.  As part of our work we will
conduct a survey of Russian and Slavic languages and literatures
programs throughout the United States and Canada, and will solicit
ideas and suggestions from individual Slavic linguists by means of a
questionnaire.  In order to do this, it is necessary to identify just who
is a Slavic linguist.  Though we have some databases available to us,
they are incomplete.  We therefore ask that those people - faculty,
graduate students and independent scholars -  who wish to be
considered Slavic linguists for the purposes of the task force's work,
identify themselves to us by means of the following form.  It can be
returned to us by e-mail at:

dbayer at PITZER.EDU

by fax to Daniel Bayer at: (909) 621-8793

or through the regular mail to:

Andrew Corin
TFSSLHE
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
115 Kinsey Hall,
University of California, Los Angeles, CA  90024-1502

Since not all Slavic linguists are members of AATSEEL and not all are
connected to e-mail, we request that you print and post this notice in
your department.

Sincerely, and with best wishes,

Andrew Corin, Chair
AATSEEL, Task Force on the Status of Slavic Linguistics in Higher
Education

Task Force on the Status of Slavic Linguistics in Higher Education
Self-Identification Form for Slavic Linguists

PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR "REPLY" FUNCTION TO RETURN THIS FORM.
If you do, it will be posted to SEELANGS, and not to the task force!