Authentic Russian Material

B.M. SHUTTLEWORTH RUSMS at ARTS-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK
Mon Feb 6 13:04:30 UTC 1995

Dear SEELANGers

To contribute to teaching and research programmes at the University
of Leeds, I am trying to put together a corpus of authentic written and
spoken Russian texts representing a range of different genres.  Can
anyone tell me if they know of (or where I could find out about) any
such corpora which are already in existence?  The genres I am
particularly interested in are:-

1. Student essays from Russian schools/universities
2. Personal/official letters
3. Conversation and other spoken material.

I'd be most interested in machine-readable archives (preferably KOI-8
format), and failing that printed/typed rather than handwritten material.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please respond either to my
e-mail address or to the list.

With many thanks in anticipation

Mark Shuttleworth
Dept of Modern Slavonic Studies
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
Great Britain
rusms at leeds.ac.uk

Dear SEELANGers

Thank you to all those who responded to my request of a couple of
weeks back. This is a brief summary of some of the replies I had
together with one or two things I already knew:-

1.  There are a couple of important ftp sites which contain corpora
    of Russian texts. These are as follows:-

    a) nic.funet.fi: a number of subdirectories of
       /pub/culture/russian/
    b) infomeister.osc.edu:
       /pub/central_eastern_europe/russian/corpora

2.  The Uppsala Russian Corpus (from Uppsala University, Sweden) is
    commercially available for about $600.

3.  An advanced Russian textbook due to be published by John
    Wiley & Sons later this year will contain a number of unscripted
    dialogues.

I also received a number of other suggestions, for which I am very
grateful.

Yours

Mark Shuttleworth
Department of Modern Slavonic Studies