k12.lang.russian

Alex Rudd AHRJJ at CUNYVM.BITNET
Mon Feb 20 20:14:39 UTC 1995

On Mon, 20 Feb 1995 10:07:28 -0800 Harold D. Baker said:
>I am very interested in finding electronic "penpals" (in Russia) for my
>third- and fourth-year college Russian students. Somewhere I read that the
>newsgroup k12.lang.russian is a good place to find penpals in Russia, but

It is *a* place; I don't know how good a place.  Keep in mind that
k12 means Kindergarten through 12th Grade.  I don't know how many
Russian college students read it.  You might have more luck in one
of the relcom groups.

>unfortunately our university server does not have this group and doesn't
>seem much interested in my request that it be added. So I have a series of
>questions for those better-versed in the Internet than I: (1) is there a
>way of getting access to k12.lang.russian through some other server, and

It's probably not worth it to bother.  I just checked what's in that
group right now, and there was one request for a penpal.  No replies.

>how can I do this; (2) can I _subscribe_ to k12.lang.russian the way I do
>to Seelangs, FLTeach, etc.; (3) is k12.lang.russian available in some other

No, you can't subscribe to newsgroups (except those which are gatewayed
to LISTSERV lists, and I don't think this one is).  You may be able to
find archives on a gopher.  Why not do a Veronica search and see?

>form, such as archived on a gopher; (4) is there another good way to locate
>"penpals" for my students? I appreciate very much any help you can give me.

Well, there is a LISTSERV list at UNCC called PENPAL-L (it's on
LISTSERV at UNCCVM) but I just searched its archives for "Russia" and
it doesn't look promising at all.

Below is an announcement made last month of a new list.  Perhaps you'll
have more luck there.  Again, though, it seems to be geared to the 18
and younger crowd.

Good luck.

- Alex
Alex Rudd    ||     |    |  __| John Jay College || ahrjj at cunyvm.cuny.edu