Slavic Sci-Fi

lleszek at baltic.iitis.gliwice.edu.pl lleszek at baltic.iitis.gliwice.edu.pl
Tue Jan 3 14:34:49 UTC 1995

On Mon, 2 Jan 1995 10:21:21 -0600
KEVIN CHRISTIANSON <KEC7497 at tntech.edu> wrote:

> What are the best Science Fiction novels and films which have been published
> and produced in the former Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc countries?  I have

Among Polish novels, I'd recommend Stanislaw Lem's "Kongres Futurologiczny"
and perhaps "Pamietnik Znaleziony w Wannie" (literal translation of titles:
"Futurological Congress" and "Diary Found in the Bath Tub").

Your students might enjoy Juliusz Machulski's movie "Seksmisja" (the title
is a pun combining sex and mission), but it requires some understanding
of totalitarian propaganda to fully appreciate.

Hope this helps,
Leszek.

/  Leszek Luchowski. Internet addr.: lleszek at baltic.iitis.gliwice.edu.pl  \
| Real address:  office:           |   home:                              |
|                IITiS PAN         |                                      |
|                Baltycka 5        |   Dlugosza 20                        |
|                44-100 GLIWICE    |   44-100 GLIWICE                     |
|                             P O L A N D                                 |
| phone  (Europe+4832)  317026            312200                          |