Slavic Sci-Fi

Robert Davison, City Polytechnic of Hong Kong, 788-7534 ISROBERT at CPHKVX.BITNET
Sat Jan 7 04:11:10 UTC 1995

>Dear SEELangers:
>
>What are the best Science Fiction novels and films which have been published
>and produced in the former Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc countries?  I have
>students who are keenly interested in Science Fiction/ Fantasy / Speculative
>fiction and cinema and who would be interested in expanding their knowledge of
>the genre beyond the Anglo-American boundaries.  (I plan to to order some
>novels and films for our university library as well.)
>
>Recommendations? Thanks.

Well, it is a while since I read any, but I would think of the following as
coming somewhere in your list:
Bulgakov: The Master and Margarita
Bulgakov: The Cursed Eggs (Giant Crocodile roaming russia only to be killed
off by the purga)
I'lf and Petrov: various, among them: The 12 chairs, The Golden Calf.

I have some collections of soviet satire which may include some of the
fantasy type.

Robert Davison
Dept of Information Systems
City University of Hong Kong