DOS Russian Keyboard

HUGH JENKINS (CREES) JENKINHP at css.bham.ac.uk
Thu Jan 5 12:29:09 UTC 1995

If anybody has acquired the Russian Version of Windows, they will
know that it comes with Code Page 866 support - although the manual
is not all that informative about it.

One can hence prepare and activate code page 866, which means that
characters with values over 127 appear as Russian on the screen.

It is also possible to install a Russian keyboard, by issuing the
'keyb ru' command. What this does not do is to generate Russian
characters when keys are struck. A number of Russian keyboard
drivers have a hot key ( such as Shift-Shift ) which switches from
Latin to Cyrillic and back. Has anybody chanced to find out whether
there is a hot key for the DOS Russian keyboard, and if so, can
anyone tell me what it is? I've tried most things except
Ctrl-Alt-Del!

**** Hugh Jenkins                                                 ****
**** Centre for Russian and East European Studies (CREES)         ****
**** University of Birmingham              Tel: 021-414-6363      ****