Geog. names in Russian

Joanna and Richard Robin rrobin at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Mon Jan 9 19:07:07 UTC 1995

We are now preparing the 2nd printing of Golosa I. We have made
corrections to the map in the book's cover. Our question is to what
extent the Russian press has gone back to "old" names. Ostankino TV has
now reverted to "Russian" variants for places like Modavia, Belorussija,
Alma-Ata, etc. Naturally, they have retained rechristenings that involved
a total change of name (e.g. Bishkek for Frunze. On the other hand, it's
nack to Kirgizija, not Kyrgyzstan).

To what extent has the rest of the press followed this root? My initial
impression is that Ostankino is in the minority among the media, but that
they reflect what actually happens in most spoken Russian.

Thanks, Rich Robin