Geog. names in Russian

James Gerhart genevra at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 10 23:42:51 UTC 1995

Hi!
It's hard for me to resist, so I won't: the answer resides on p 386 of
magnum opus also known as the second edition of Russian's World: Life and
Language by one Genevra Gerhart, Holt/Harcourt, January 1995. Six
additional new chapters and major additions to old ones. etc.
The specific answer to your question is: it depends. Some newspapers have
one policy and insist that their writers follow it. Some newspapers allow
their journalists to spell it the way they want. Generally, if the
communication is between Russians in Russia, then the Russian form of the
name is preferred (Moldaviya, Kirgiziya etc).  When a letter to the
editor from a former republic is printed then they use whatever the
letter-writer wrote.  The choice in any case is going to have political
overtones these days.
Happy reading!          Genevra Gerhart       genevra at u.washington.edu