Re Russian's World: Life and Language by Genevra Gerhart

Randolph J. Herber herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov
Thu Jan 12 16:51:22 UTC 1995

The following header lines retained to affect attribution:
|---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|Hi!
|It's hard for me to resist, so I won't: the answer resides on p 386 of
|magnum opus also known as the second edition of Russian's World: Life and
|Language by one Genevra Gerhart, Holt/Harcourt, January 1995. Six
|additional new chapters and major additions to old ones. etc.
|The specific answer to your question is: it depends. Some newspapers have
|one policy and insist that their writers follow it. Some newspapers allow
|their journalists to spell it the way they want. Generally, if the
|communication is between Russians in Russia, then the Russian form of the
|name is preferred (Moldaviya, Kirgiziya etc).  When a letter to the
|editor from a former republic is printed then they use whatever the
|letter-writer wrote.  The choice in any case is going to have political
|overtones these days.
|Happy reading!          Genevra Gerhart       genevra at u.washington.edu

I am pleased to hear that an updated edition of this book exists.

I am not pleased at my lack of success at obtaining a copy.  I tried three
large book store chains.  None of them were aware of the book or how to
order it even with the article above given to them as a print-out.  I tried
Crown, Barnes-Noble, and Border's.

Would you please tell us how one obtains a copy?  Is it possible that you
have an `in' with the author?

Randolph J. Herber, herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov, +1 708 840 2966, CD/HQ
(Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.)
(Product, trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)