LCEN (List Comp. 10 screens)

Joanna and Richard Robin rrobin at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Tue Jan 17 18:30:50 UTC 1995

Listening Comprehension Exercise Network:
Changes in procedures

LCEN will start producing exercises with the Russian Vremya
and the French broadcast of this Friday, Jan. 20. You can
continue to get exercises in the traditional way, or you can
use the new procedures outlined below.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
! MACINTOSH USERS, please note! In the past, you have   !
! downloaded files as non-binary RTF files. From now on !
! you should download files as BINARY files. Open them  !
! in your Macintosh word processor as TEXT files.       !
! The entire procedure is described below.              !
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DOES LCEN WORK? We announce which SCOLA or Univision
newscasts will be covered. Look for notices on SLART-L,
FLTEACH, and LLTI.  You make arrangements to have them
recorded. That LCEN exercise writers prepare material cued
to the broadcast in question. The next day you get the
exercises for the broadcast you taped from an Internet site.
Print out and distribute the exercises to your students.
Then send them to the media center to watch the newscast.
LCEN exercises are designed for second- and third- year
students.

HOW DO I GET LCEN EXERCISES FROM THE INTERNET? Exercises are
now available in three places:

A.  WORLD WIDE WEB

1.  Select the exercise that you want to download. (See
    "WHAT ARE THE EXERCISES NAMED," below). You will see the
    exercise appear on screen, although letters with
    diacritical marks (as well as all Cyrillic) may look
    like gibberish, if you do not have access to the fonts
    necessary through your browser.  Don't worry, everything
    should be okay once you download the file to your own
    computer.
2.  Once you have selected the file you need, give the command
    to bring the text down to your own disk, depending on
    the WWW browser at your disposal.
3.  MOSAIC USERS: open the save dialog box to
    download the document to your own computer's disk.
    Russian users of Mosaic will see Cyrillic on screen only
    if they have installed the appropriate font and made it
    the active font in Mosaic. But don't worry if you can't
    see the foreign characters while on-line. They should
    download properly anyway. If the file downloads directly
    to your PC, skip to step 6. If, on the other hand, your
    download puts the file into your account on the mainframe
    of an Internet provider such as America On-Line or a
    university Unix machine, you will have to download from
    there directly to your PC. Go to Step 5.
4.  LYNX USERS: press p for "print." In fact, you will not
    be printing the file per se immediately. Instead
    choose the "save a file" option. This will put the LCEN
    exercise on your mainframe's disk under your account.
    (Note: On-line, Lynx users will not see accented letters
    or Cyrillic, but if the files are properly selected and
    downloaded, the foreign letters should arrive intact on
    your own computer.)
5.  The exercises are now on your own Internet account. You
    must now download them to your PC. For this, you should
    ask the tech people how to download a *binary* file from
    the mainframe account to your PC. Chances are you will
    use some form of Kermit.
6.  Once it is safely on your own disk, load the file as a
    text file into your word processor and print it out.
    |RUSSIAN WORD PERFECT 5.1 USERS, PLEASE NOTE! You must |
    |start WordPerfect 5.1 with the command "wp/cp=899".   |
    |Only then can you successfully import the file as text|
    |with the Cyrillic intact.                             |

B.  FTP TO GWUVM.GWU.EDU. See "FTP Instructions" below. This
    ftp site is likely to have the exercises first.

C.  FTP TO ftp.dartmouth.edu
    See "FTP Instructions" below.

FTP Instructions

1.  From your Internet connection, enter the command:
    ftp gwuvm.gwu.edu or ftp.dartmouth.edu/pub/LLTI-IALL/LCEN
2.  If asked to identify yourself, enter: anonymous
3.  When asked for a password, enter your computer address
    (e.g. someone at somewhere.state-u.edu)
4.  Enter: bin (DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP!) If "bin" does not
    work, try any of the following: BIN, binary, BINARY, I,
    i, IMAGE, image.
5.  If you have ftp'd to ftp.dartmouth.edu, then enter:
    pub/LLTI-IALL/LCEN
    If you ftp'd to gwuvm.gwu.edu, do not do this.
6.  Enter: get xxxxxxxx.xxx
    where xxxxxxxx.xxx is the name of the exercise set in
    question. More on that below under WHAT ARE THE
    EXERCISES NAMED. (Cyrillic makes doing Russian harder.
    Russian users should ftp to gwuvm.gwu.edu, sign in as
    anonymous, and get lcenruss.txt.)
7.  The exercises are now on your own Internet account. You
    must now download them to your PC. For this, you should
    ask the tech people how to download a *binary* file from
    the mainframe account to your PC. Chances are you will
    use some form of Kermit. Mac users do not have to worry
    about *binary* downloading.
8.  Once it is safely on your own disk, load the file as a
    text file into your word processor and print it out.
    |RUSSIAN WORD PERFECT 5.1 USERS, PLEASE NOTE! You must |
    |start WordPerfect 5.1 with the command "wp/cp=899".   |
    |Only then can you successfully import the file as text|
    |with the Cyrillic intact.                             |

If you are completely unfamiliar with FTP, ask your computer
technical assistance people for help.

WHAT ARE THE EXERCISES NAMED? In step 5, you use the FTP get
command. But get what? Instead of xxxxxxxx.xxx, pick the
file that best suits your needs:

Windows users:                 xxxxMMDD.wri
WordPerfect for DOS            xxxxMMDD.wp5
Macintosh users                xxxxMMDD.mac

The "xxxx" is the language code: replace it with one of the
following: fren, germ, ital, span, russ.

MMDD stands for the month and day of the broadcast in
question, e.g. span0923.wp5.

IMPORTANT: Russian users should ftp to gwuvm.gwu.edu (as
anonymous) and get lcenruss.txt for information on how to
deal with Cyrillic. After January 23 they can access the GWU
Slavic home page through the World Wide Web for information
on Cyrillic fonts. The access is
http://gwis.circ.gwu.edu/~slavic/cyrilize.html

TENTATIVE LCEN BROADCAST DATES: Spring 1995

German - SCOLA all Mondays, 11:00 ET:
Jan 23, Feb 13, Mar 13, Apr 10

Italian - SCOLA all Tuesdays, 18:30 ET:
Jan 17, Feb 14, Mar 14, Apr 11

French - SCOLA all Fridays, 09:30 ET:
Jan 20, Feb 17, Mar 10, Apr 14

Russsian - SCOLA all Fridays, 21:00 Moscow Time:
Jan 20, Feb 17, Mar 10, Apr 14

Spanish - Univision all Fridays, 18:30 ET:
Jan 27, Feb 24, Mar 31, Apr 21