translation needed

Loren Allen Billings BILLINGS at PUCC.BITNET
Tue Jan 17 22:18:57 UTC 1995

Actually, I believe that Prof. Derbyshire meant _p/b_ (as in the unvoiced
bilabial stop before the slash).  My _Slovar' sokrashenii_ lists one
possible solution:  _plavuchaia baza_, some sort of floating dock, from
what I can tell.  (Incidentally, there appears to be nothing in the
_Voenno-morskoi slovar'_ that resembles _p/b_.)  Thus, the combination
_kapitan p/b_ could mean the skipper of a seagoing dock of some sort.

As for _rambus_, RAM (random-access memory) is translated in the _Slovar'
po programirovaniiu_ (approximate title) as either _operativnaia pamiat'_
OR _operativno-zapominaiushchee ustroistvo_, the latter abbreviated as
_OZU_; and BUS as either _shina_ or _magistral'_.  Who knew!

I hope this helps, Bill.  --Loren A. Billings (billings at princeton.edu)

As a postscript, John Dingley informed me at AATSEEL that my spelling
on SEELANGS had gone from bad to worse.  I hope this is an improvement.
--LAB