translation needed

Bill Derbyshire wwd at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 18 20:50:11 UTC 1995

On Tue, 17 Jan 1995, Loren Allen Billings wrote:

> Actually, I believe that Prof. Derbyshire meant _p/b_ (as in the unvoiced
> bilabial stop before the slash).  My _Slovar' sokrashenii_ lists one
> possible solution:  _plavuchaia baza_, some sort of floating dock, from
> what I can tell.
        Many thanks to all of you who answered my reply. Loren Billings
(among several others) is quite correct. The abbreviation p/b stands for
'plavbaza', 'floating base' aka 'mother ship', one of those floating fish
packing/processing ships to which smaller ships deliver their loads.

> As for _rambus_, RAM (random-access memory)
        I came across the word 'rambus' in two different, but similar, texts.
As it turns, it was a typo both times. The correct unscrambled form is
'ramburs', a little used foreign borrowing meaning 'reimbursement'. The
standard dictionaries don't have it, but it can be found in dictionaries
of foreign borrowings.                  Bill Derbyshire