Word Perfect 6.0 v.s 6.1

Rachel Kilbourn twoofus at execpc.com
Mon Jun 5 19:07:56 UTC 1995

An update on the WP6.1 Russian issue:

I just spoke to the WP Language helpline (800-321-7431) and according to tech
support the Language Module for WP 6.1 is not yet available for purchase.
They are taking orders, but it has not shipped yet.  In addition to some new
fonts/features in 6.1, instead of buying just the modules for each language
separately, they have combined the language modules into one package so that
you can then just choose which one(s) to install and use.  It seems that the
differences between the 6.0 Module and the 6.1 Module should be fairly
obvious.

I was understandably a bit confused because many people have said that they
are using WP 6.1 with the Russian module.  When I explained this to tech
support all they could say was that there must be a misunderstanding
somewhere.  I asked tech support whether it might not have been already
released to academic institutions, but they said no, that it hadn't shipped
yet to anyone.  They did say that the module for 6.0 would work in a limited
fashion with WP6.1.  If you copied the keyboard object into a 6.1 template you
could type in Russian, but that's about all.  The speller wouldn't work and
there might be other difficulties, but you could type.

Now, what I'm wondering is if many of the problems people have mentioned
aren't due to incompatibilities between the WP6.0 Language Module and WP6.1
version.  If any of you have checked the version number on your Language
Module (not the program itself) and you *are* using the 6.1 version, would you
mind telling me how/where you were able to get it?  They claim that the bugs
have been fixed in the 6.1 Module and I'd like to try to verify that.

Also, I asked about the policy they used to have about sending out patches or
what-have-you to fix bugs when they were reported.  The guy I spoke with
didn't have any info on that, but he's going to try to find out.