3rd and 4th years

Sarah Heyer GA4224 at SIUCVMB.SIU.EDU
Tue Jun 6 00:43:53 UTC 1995

Dear SEELANGERS,
For Lorraine Busch and others who may have been waiting for a summary
on combining 3rd and 4th years, I hope that this topic will be explored
more thoroughly in the future.
Inspired by a posting from Harold Baker, I requested feedback on the idea
of combining 3rd- and 4th-year classes.  There were three respondents, one of
whom is doing exactly what I described.  I wrote to Steve Baehr for
more info, and include his second message to me.  His first was
broadcast, but I include it here for completeness.
At Southern Illinois University (Carbondale), our 3rd- and 4th-year courses
have only 2nd year as prerequisites, and students wind up taking whatever's
offered, the order being imposed only by what is available when.
I suspect this is true elsewhere, but not institutionalized as such.
Also, all our courses beyond 2nd year are one semester long.
We have new students each semester, and a year-long course seems impractical.
What now follows are the responses I got.  They are brief and not
repetitive, so I'm not summarizing or otherwise editing (much).
Sarah Heyer    ga4224 at siucvmb.siu.edu
Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 95 00:35:30 EDT
From:         SLBAEHR at VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Subject:      3rd/4th year
To:           ga4224 at siucvmb.siu.edu

 We have been combining third and fourth year Russian at Virginia
Tech for about 3 years now and have had excellent success. We
have a rotation that depends on who has had and who needs a specific
course, but that rotation will be as much as 8 semesters. We
work all courses above second year on a one-semester basis.
Courses include: Russian Television, Russian Press, Major authors (this
year Chekhov), Oral Proficiency, Advanced Grammar, Political Russian.

 My only observation is that students who have had only 2 years are
at a disadvantage for the first half of their 1st semester of third year, but
most are able to do a "pullup" by the end of that semester. I have
done grade analyses for the last 3 years and noted that there is NOT
a correlation, surprisingly enough, between grade and number of years--
even in the first semester courses.

          Steve Baehr
          Professor of Russian
          Virginia Tech