Yiddish/Sorbian/"Canaanic Ukrainian"

Kevin Brook kbrook at acad.bryant.edu
Wed Mar 1 01:27:26 UTC 1995

Greetings everyone,

I have been doing some research on Yiddish, Sorbian, and so-called
"Knaanic/Canaanic" East Slavic (spoken around the 11th-12th centuries).
As each of these languages has some Slavic basis, I am hoping that some
of you who have been researching these languages can get in touch with
me, because I would like to learn more.  For one thing I would like to
know if any interrelations exist between the Sorbian and Serbian
languages.  Also I would like to speak with anyone who has read Paul
Wexler's linguistic works about West Slavic connections with the Yiddish
language of eastern European Jews and who has an opinion about this matter.
Wexler's 1993 book is published by SLAVICA PUBLISHERS and I'm sure some
of you are familiar with this Ohio publishing house.

We discuss issues of Slavic words and roots for surnames, words, etc.
among the Jews of Ukraine, Poland, Belarus, etc. in the Eastern European
Jewish History forum on Internet.  For further info about this forum you
may e-mail me at kbrook at acad.bryant.edu, or you can subscribe directly by
sending a message to: majordomo at beacon.bryant.edu     with the message
body text as: subscribe eejh

We have a few users from Ukraine, Poland, Slovakia, Estonia, and Hungary
online, plus a lot of Slavophiles from other countries especially Canada
and the U.S. are online.  Please let other people know about EEJH as a
scholarly resource for the subject of Jewish history in the vast lands of
east Europe.  We currently have around 370 users from all around the
world but always welcome more!

Kevin Brook       P.O. Box 1631, 1150 Douglas Pike, Smithfield, RI 02917
Bryant College Class of 1997                      kbrook at acad.bryant.edu