koi8

Harold D. Baker hdbaker at uci.edu
Wed Mar 1 22:39:02 UTC 1995

>I am trying to make koi8 fonts work in Netscape on mac, and am
>encountering problems.  Love to hear from anyone who has had success
>in this area.
>
>John Dingley
>jdingley at yorku.ca
I had the same problem with Mosaic, and what I eventually learned is that
only MacWeb can handle KOI8 fonts on the WWW. I even spoke to the Mosaic
developers, and they told me that this capacity is in the works but not yet
implemented. I got MacWeb and it works very satisfactorily. I wish the use
of KOI7 fonts in Relcom were as smooth as this.

In case you're curious, the reason for the difficulty is that most WWW
clients (and many networking programs generally) _do not transmit the
eighth bit_ of ASCII code which is supposed to be conveying text. Rather
this eighth bit is "stripped" and put to other uses by the program. KOI8,
as its name implies, requires the full eight bits, so these programs cannot
handle it. My apologies to those who really know computers for this
sophomoric explanation!

Harold D. Baker
Program in Russian
University of California, Irvine