koi8

Y.TSUJI ytsuji at cfi.waseda.ac.jp
Thu Mar 2 02:10:32 UTC 1995

Hello,
A few words about my recent experience might interest some of you.
 1. I managed to install "emacs-19.28" so that all its derivative
    windows would open with KOI8 fonts (I would rather like "Compose"
    work to switch US/Rus keyboard than "Caps Lock". Can someone
    help, you guru of X11?)
    If one uses ordinary "emacs", one needs to run it with no windows
    option like:
        %emacs -nw
    Now you can browse relcom with GNUS very comfortably.
 2. The result code of Russian EmTeX (i.e. dvi files) is completely
    compatible with that of under unix. This is extremely useful.
    It looks most of the font/data files can be shared by MS DOS and unix
    (I use Sun's PC NFS which allows one to use Sun`s filesystem as though
    another hard disk of a PC).
 3. The "Mosaic" I use allows me to read/write not only Japanese, but
    also almost all the other languages as well. When I read Russian
    WWW, I simply switch the font (it looks Mosaic gets from some other
    site rather than find it locally). The original version from NCSA
    hasn't got the font option, as far as I remember.
    If I find similar Mosaic for MS Windows, I will let you know.
 4. Russian TeX with KOI8 encoding is almost ready. I am working to
    make it compatible with the pre-1918 style. If you're interested in
   this and willing to help me, please write me a line.

I will be off to St Petersburg between 3 March and 4 April. Hope to
get in touch with you later.

Cheers,
Tsuji