koi8

Robin LaPasha ruslan at acpub.duke.edu
Thu Mar 2 20:52:31 UTC 1995

No, there really is a problem on the Mac.  (And I am one of those
who will go hunt down MacWeb to try and solve it...)

Just before the 94 AAASS meetings I performed the experiment
of installing Mosaic and KOI8 fonts on side-by-side Windows
and Mac boxes... and then web'ed to the same Relcom site.

The Windows stuff was (mostly) fine; the mac stuff was scrambled.
(Lots of Cyrillic "L"s, a few "K"s and "I kratkoe"s...)
It's not just setting the font (in fact, that was easier on the
Mac than on the Windows version, as I recall).  It's not just
that some sites pass the eighth bit and others don't - otherwise
the Windows box would've had trouble using the same route
to the same site.  It is something in the Mac running Mosaic (and
Netscape, as I confirmed later.)

I'd love to hear that there's a mysterious setting I've missed
(like the character translation; I'll look at that!).  I HOPE to
find out for myself that MacWeb works (I'm an optimist, humor me).

Robin LaPasha                            Soviet Literature Scanning Project
ruslan at raphael.acpub.duke.edu            Duke University