Bel-Russian

ursula.doleschal ursula.doleschal at WU-WIEN.AC.AT
Mon Mar 6 18:17:29 UTC 1995

>At the Frankfurt airport I noticed that the airline BELAVIA calls itself
>in English "Belarussian Airlines" (with two -s-).  Apparently, the
>Belarus(s)ians themselves do not consistently use a single English
>spelling.
>
>Gary H. Toops
>Associate Professor
>Wichita State University

I guess, it depends on their national pride. SInce akanje is reflected in
Belarussian orthography, it would be more "authentic" to write Belarussian,
since Belorussian is quite obviously taken from Russian.

Ursula Doleschal
Institut f. Slawische Sprachen
Wirtschaftsuniv. Wien
Augasse 9, 1090 Wien