Russian word for "cognate"

STEVE SEEGMILLER SEEGMILLER at apollo.montclair.edu
Thu Mar 9 18:07:00 UTC 1995

Technically, if cognates are words that come from a common source, then
both borrowings and words of common descent are cognates. However, the
way the term is generally used is as described in the postings by Tony
Hall and Stephen Weissman, i.e. the term "cognate" is usually reserved
for the latter case.

for the latter case.

However, I would like to point out that the word has another very common
use in foreign language teaching: "cognates" are words in the L2 that
resemble (for whatever reason) words in the L1. Many textbooks,
particularly older ones, provide lists of cognates to help students
learn vocabulary, and some even talk about "false firends", the words
that look similar but differ in meaning. (Oops -- should be "friends"
in the last sentence.) Needless to say, "cognate" in this usage can
mean either "borrowing"  or "of common origin but different lineage."e.
My guess is that most language teachers whose training is not primarily
linguistic understand "cognate" in this broader sense.

Steve Seegmiller