Russian word for "cognate"

Loren Allen Billings BILLINGS at PUCC.BITNET
Fri Mar 10 19:42:48 UTC 1995

Let's (we linguists) not ignore the "real" meaning of cognate.  In
everyday language this word means "from the same source (be it via some
borrowing)".  It's amazing how many linguistic terms have a purist
meaning and a popular one.  Three that come to mind are _informant_,
_collaborate/collaborator_ and _linguist_ itself.

There was a lively discussion on the LINGUIST list recently about the
word _informant_.  One subcriber, who does field work in Liberia, as I
recall, would never use that word there because of it's meaning of
"infomer" (i.e., CIA collaborator; see below).

Speaking of which, when we work with a colleague on a project or
publication (something that happens far too rarely, in my opinion, in
our field), we are said to _collaborate_.  And this is not necessarily
just a term linguists use, but all academic disciplines in which this
happens.  Still, the every-day use is akin to _commit treason_.

Finally, the term _linguist_ itself.  Especially in the military (the
same organization that referred to getting payed twice a month as the
"bi-monthly pay option"), but even generally in the public, a linguist
is someone who works with languages (yes the plural, usually).  Is it
the case that just linguists have such dualities of meanings (not to
mention jargon terms like _government_, _binding_, etc.)?  I'd be happy
to hear what y'all think.  --Loren Billings (billings at princeton.edu)