Computer-assisted language learning

Loren A. Billings BILLINGS at PUCC.BITNET
Thu Mar 16 23:51:40 UTC 1995

Quite by coincidence I have come accross an introductory book on the
subject, which some of you might find interesting:

Ahmad, Khurshid, Greville Corbett, Margaret Rogers & Rolland Sussex (1985)
     _Computers, language learning and teaching._ (series:  New directions
     in language teaching.)  Cambridge Univ. Press.

Having JUST come across this book, I still haven't had the chance to read
it.  But it may be useful to those of you hesitant about taking the plunge
into computers:

     "It is intended for language teachers at all levels ... and assumes
     no previous knowledge of computers of computing." [Preface, p. vii]

As SEELangs subscribers, you obviously have some knowledge of computers, so
I may be preaching to the converted (I, for one, might be referred to as
_oglashennyi_--in one of its secondary meanings--in this regard.)  As one
of the co-authors is a Slavist (and a subscriber to this list), I won't
write anything more.  --Loren Billings (billings at princeton.edu)