Follow up to Pedogogical question: help with memorization techniques.

Isabelle C. Byrnes isabelle at crew.umich.edu
Fri Mar 17 20:12:41 UTC 1995

Dear SEELANGERS,

Thanks to all who answered my recent plea for help in coaching a student
with a (n apparently) poor memory.  Your personal testimonials, tactics,
strategies, and admonishments have been quite a help.

By the sort of strange coincidence with which "Dr. Zhivago" is crammed
full, an extremely apposite article just appeared on my doorstep in the
Spring 1995 issue of the ACTR newsletter, in the chapter reprinted from
"Learning Strategies: a Manual for Students," by Betty Lou Leaver and
Rebecca Oxford.  The chapter is entitled "How to Prevent Your Learning
Style from Limiting Your Learning Strategy Use."  It identifies the
different kinds of language learners:
Visual Learner
Auditory Learner
Digital Mechanical Learner
Oral Mechanical Learner
Kinesthetic Learner, and
Tactile Learner.
It also describes the techniques that tend to work best for different
learners, and how learners can "broaden their base" of techniques.

I highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Isabelle Byrnes
University of Michigan