Ukr titles (help needed)

Loren A. Billings billings at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Tue Mar 21 02:50:40 UTC 1995

I can update the progress in finding sevral of th titles I asked about
recently.  One (Arvat 1961) has been located at a US library, and
dleted from the list below.  Another (Matviienko 1928) I've found a more
complete title of, kindly see below.  The advice of one of Alan Pollard,
Slavic bibliographer at U. Michigan, is to look for these in the various
card catalogs at the major collections around the continent.  I would
vry much appreciate it if people would do so.  Thanks already to Wayles
Browne for doing so at Cornell.  I have already looked at the off-line
catalogs of the Harvard U., U. Toronto, and New York Public libraries.
I repeat th remaining items below (with the apostrophes re-inserted!).

Any additional comments (namely, Ursula Doleschal's re. Matveenko 1962)
are preceded and followed by five asterisks.
Dear fellow Slavicists,

A few months ago I wrote to you to ask for help in finding certain titles
(either to confirm their existence or, preferably, to locate a copy at a North
American library).  I do the same now eight titles.  This is part of an
annotated bibliography of the so-called _-no_/_-to_ construction in Polish and
Ukrainian which Prof. Joan Mailing (Brandeis Univ. Linguistics Dept.) and I
(ABD, Princeton Univ., Slavic linguistics; lecturer, Rutgers Univ. Slavic
Program) are compiling.

The bibliography, with over 400 titles is scheduled to appear in two parts
corresponding to the two issues of the _Journal of Slavic Linguistics_ vol. 3
(no. 1, spring 1995; no. 2, fall 1995).  Feel free to respond to me
(billings at princeton.edu).  If you prefer, you may REPLY to this message and it
will appear to the entire SEELANGS list (_caveat lector!_).  As an additional
measure to assure that this reach the most number of Slavicists, George Fowler
(Editor-in-Chief of _JSL_) will also be sending this in the next day or so to
his list of Slavic linguists, so some of you may receive it twice.  Please
feel free to forward this query to any appropriate lists that you know about.

All the titles below happen to be on the Ukrainian part of the bibliography.
Thanks again to Nevenka West (U. of Manitoba's Dafoe Slavic Collection), Bob
Rothstein (Univ. of Mass.), and Wayles Browne (Cornell Univ.) for assistance
with my previous queries to this list.  (I might point out that Bob's
recommendation of using the _Slavianskoe iazykoznanie_ bibliographic resources
was most helpful.  Unfortunately, since the early-1960s volume is missing (and
not yet here by interlibrary loan), I still havent consulted that invaluable
resource for certain items from that period.)  *****I have since received the
_SJa_ volume covering the arly '60s; comments re it appear below.*****

Gladkii, M. [= Hladkyi, Mykola] (1918)  _Prakticheskii kurs ukrainskogo
iazyka.  Dlia uchit. [sic.] seminarii, uchit. [sic] kursov i starsh. [sic.]
class sredn. [sic.] uchebn. [sic.] zavedenii. _  Zhitomir: Rabotnik.  (I have
confirmed in _Slavianskoe ..._ that this source exists.  I already have the
2nd edition (Kiev, 1924).  Any help in locating this book would be greatly
appreciated.  This edition is not listed in any of the resources listed in the
previous entry.)  *****Still no change in this title.*****

Ohiienko, Ivan [= Ilarion, Metropolitan of Winnipeg and all Canada] (1918)
_Bibliohrafichnyi pokazhchyk literatury do vyvchennia ukrains`koi movy._
Kyiv:  [publisher unknown].  (This title is referred to in an extensive
bibliography in a 1932 book by Smerechyns`kyi, recently re-published by
Ukrains`kyi vil`nyi universytet, in Munich.  I have been unable to find any
other reference to this book in any of the resources mentioned above, even in
_Slavianskoe ..._.)  *****Likewise no change.*****

Klepats`kyi, P. (1925 [possibly 1926])  "Review of _Uvahy do suchasnoi
ukrains`koi literaturnoi movy_ (1925, Kyiv), by Olena B. Kurylo."  _Zapysky
Poltavs`koho instytutu narodnoi osvity_ no(s). 1-3 (or possibly just 2), pp.
77-98.  (Cited in the same Smerechyns`kyi source as in the previous item;
confirmed in _Slavianskoe ..._, but not found in any of the library resources
mentioned so far.  I have looked under _Poltav..._, _Zapysky_, _Inst..._, the
last of which showed the same school name, but only in Kiev and Kharkov.)
*****Existence confirmed in another bibliography (Hol`denberh, L.I. & N.F.
Korolevych (1963) _Ukrains`ka mova.  Bibliohrafichnyi pokazhchyk, 1918-61
rr._).  Still not found at any libaries.*****

Kostinskii, Iu. M. (1971)  _Genetivnye sub"ektnye konstruktsii v sovremennom
russkom [literaturnom] iazyke._  Avtoreferat kandidatskoi dissertatsii, IRIa
AN, Moskva.  (Confirmed in _Slavianskoe ..._, not found in any library
resources listed above.  The bracketed word is not included in one of the
sources.) *****No change.*****

Matveenko, V[era] A[lekseevna] (1962)  _Stradatel`no-bezlichnyi oborot v
vostochnoslavianskikh iazykakh._  Avtoreferat kandidatskoi dissertatsii,
Moskva.  (Not confirmed in _Slavianskoe ..._ because I lack the early-1960s
volume.  Cited in a 1978 article by Georgiev.  Not found in any of the library
resources listed above.)  *****U. Doleschal (ursula.doleschal at wu-wien.ac.at)
has reached Matveenko personally and confirms the title.  The degree-granting
institution is Institut russkogo iazyka, AN SSSR.  Still no copy found at any
libraries, however.*****

Matviienko [sic.], O. (1928)  "Instrumental` chynnosty pry pasyvnykh
diieprykmetnykakh."  In _Zbirnyk tsentral`nykh derzhavnykh kursiv
ukrainoznavstva_ kn. 1.  Kharkiv:  [publisher unknown]. pp. unknown.  (Cited
in Smerechyns`kyi (1932) and _Slavianskoe ..._; not found in any of the
library resources listed above.  I have searched under _Zbirnyk ..._ and
_Tsentral`n..._, not being sure whether the second word is the name of a
corporate entity.)  *****Holdenberh _et al_ (cited above ff Klepats`kyi
citation), lists the following continuation to the volume's title:  _...
pry Upravlenni politosvity NKO_.  _NKO = Narodnyi komisari(i)at osvity._
I have looked for this in the major reference tools under several headings,
but to no avail.*****

Matviienko, O. (1932)  _Syntaksychni paraleli._ [possibly _Stylistychni
paraleli._]  Kharkiv: [publisher unknown].  Cited in a few sources, including
_Slavianskoe ..._; not found in any of the library resources listed above.)
*****No change in progress.*****

Myshurenko, P. Ie. (1964)  "Bezosobovi rechennia na -NO, -TO v ukrains`kykh
narodnykh prisliv`iakh."  In [Zb./Kn.] _Linhvistychnyi seminarii.  Tezi
dopovidei. vol. 1._  Dnipropetrovs`k: Dnipropetrovs`kyi derzh. univ., Kafedra
[Katedra?] ukrains`koi movy.  pp. 41-45.  (Confirmed in two different
articles, but not yet in the _Slavianskoe ..._ volume for the early 1960s.  I
have, however, found a similar (1966) citation in the _Slavianskoe ..._ volume
for the late 1960s, possibly referring to an article by the same author in
vol. 2 of the same _zbirnyk_.  Not found in any of the library resources
listed above.)  *****Likewise no change on this title.*****

*****Since we cannot get to all the card catalogs, where some of these are,
no doubt, listed, I ask that you chech your off-line resourses.  I will be
happy to check the cards at Princeton or Rutgers if any of you need to find
a book.  Thanks for reading this far.  -Loren Billings (billings at princeton.edu)